Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Old Ways and the New Ways
*********
The Native American teachers are returning. They speak to you through your reading and in the stillness of your mind. Sometimes they even speak to you through the rocks, the animals, the trees, or the wind . . .
We'd like to start you out with a short story from The Code as a way of introducing you to the old ways and the new ways.
While living in New Mexico , I found that I liked going out into the desert, and it was there, on a mesa near Chaco Canyon , where I made an intention to access higher knowledge. I went into a mild trance, and suddenly Kokopelli, the most outrageous being I ever met, appeared. After playing his flute and dancing around for awhile, he told me that one of humanity's most fascinating traits had to do with our strange but stubborn urge to hold onto beliefs and activities that didn't serve us anymore. He placed our current collective reality in that category and made light of it, saying that these characteristics were soon to be obsolete and seen by the masses as the old ways (not to be confused with the ways of our ancient ancestors when they were in their glory.)

He pointed out that the abbreviation for the old ways is "OW!", and he got up and jumped around like he'd just stubbed his toe. We laughed for a long time, and then he went on to say that the new evolved ways were abbreviated "NEW!" and that they would lead us out of our current despair into a golden age.
"Take your pick!" he said, as he hopped around on one leg,"OW! or NEW!".... and each time he shouted "OW!" he exaggerated his pain even more. I'll never forget how hard we laughed.

And, later on, when I was confronted by a difficult situation that stemmed from me holding on too tightly to my old ways, it somehow made it easier to deal with if I recalled his antics that day out on the mesa.
My intention for today is:
I intend that I am taking time to play!
~photo by Catherine

No comments: